Leitrim Forum

Qualifiers 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To MadAboutLeitrim:  "Are you in cuckoo land. This is the kind of bullshit that was been posted here before the Roscommon game. The lads have a massive challenge on their hands to beat this Clare team. Yes they are missing young Sexton their best forward by a country mile but they still are a formidable outfit who are still a division 2 team. For people to be even mention the super 8s is mind blowing. Hope the lads can pull off the shock of the summer and beat the banner men."
I disagree- why is it bullshit to aim high would you?? Why would it be shock of the Summer?? For us to beat a team a division above us?? Why do you?? this type of negative thinking could permeate through to the squad and where are we then?? HHMM??

bringbackthecorncrakewouldu (Leitrim) - Posts: 58 - 11/06/2019 12:19:26    2193433

Link

Oh I hate to see the bad language being used. Can yee cut down the coarseness lads, for Terry's sake.

Thelonesomegoose (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 11/06/2019 12:29:54    2193440

Link

Now where have........I.......seen.........this...writing.....style.....before

94allstar
Jimmy McNulty
spirit of eslin
Tashy
bringbackthecorncrakewouldu
Thelonesomegoose

and probably numerous more...

Grey_Wolf (Leitrim) - Posts: 226 - 11/06/2019 12:43:02    2193453

Link

Replying To Grey_Wolf:  "Now where have........I.......seen.........this...writing.....style.....before

94allstar
Jimmy McNulty
spirit of eslin
Tashy
bringbackthecorncrakewouldu
Thelonesomegoose

and probably numerous more..."
are there many grey wolfs in Leitrim?? Maybe where you are from there is.........

bringbackthecorncrakewouldu (Leitrim) - Posts: 58 - 11/06/2019 13:14:00    2193475

Link

Both the Lori Meagher final in Croke park and the football qualifier being played the one day, one at midday and the other at 6pm, Poor form from the gaa to expect Leitrim fans to go to both in one day Perhaps they could have a one ticket gets you entrance to both games, halfdinner I doubt that will happen

Thelonesomegoose (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 11/06/2019 14:03:41    2193503

Link

Clare are about 6 to 8 points better than wicklow we beat wicklow by 3 was it? Can see us looking by 4 to 6 points. Clare are a big physical side and I think they will walk through us as many teams have done all year I suppose it just depends how well o Rourke plays and how many goals we score. Goals win games ... was a good draw and being at home definitely is worth 2 to 3 points so let's see how we go. Can't understand why terry continues to play flynn and mc weeney our two weak links all year

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 11/06/2019 14:31:45    2193513

Link

Its a joke the 2 of them are on the same day. Sligo playing Saturday and Sunday.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 282 - 11/06/2019 16:59:04    2193585

Link

Sligo have a dual player which is why they are on separate days. I think it's a great days entertainment with the two games on - and allows anyone who wants, the chance to go to the Ulster Final on the Sunday between two of our neighbouring Counties (lots will go - the Northern half of the County with their interest in Donegal and the Eastern half and their interest in Cavan).

Super weekend ahead

leitrimlhady (Leitrim) - Posts: 74 - 12/06/2019 10:18:01    2193829

Link

Make no mistake if both Dublin hurling and football teams were playing the same weekend, they wouldn't be played on the same day unless it was a double header at 'neutral' Croke Park. But if our county board are happy with this outrage who are we to argue

Thelonesomegoose (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 12/06/2019 11:41:12    2193869

Link

Replying To Thelonesomegoose:  "Make no mistake if both Dublin hurling and football teams were playing the same weekend, they wouldn't be played on the same day unless it was a double header at 'neutral' Croke Park. But if our county board are happy with this outrage who are we to argue"
Yes I agree with same said statement- however I would pose the question as to why the games are all played in Carrick on Shannon?? Could some of them not be played in some of the lesser known stadia throughout the county to give a potential spin off to the parishes involved??

Why not play a game in Clune, or Centre of Excellence or even home of the chairman Aughnasheelin etc?? This would certainly throw the opposition a curve ball as they would be unfamiliar with the surroundings etc. Just a thought

bringbackthecorncrakewouldu (Leitrim) - Posts: 58 - 12/06/2019 13:15:52    2193911

Link

Replying To bringbackthecorncrakewouldu:  "Yes I agree with same said statement- however I would pose the question as to why the games are all played in Carrick on Shannon?? Could some of them not be played in some of the lesser known stadia throughout the county to give a potential spin off to the parishes involved??

Why not play a game in Clune, or Centre of Excellence or even home of the chairman Aughnasheelin etc?? This would certainly throw the opposition a curve ball as they would be unfamiliar with the surroundings etc. Just a thought"
only Ballinamore and possibly cloone would have the relevant criteria for hosting inter county games now outside of Pairc Sean

manchesterbhoy (UK) - Posts: 11 - 12/06/2019 16:29:29    2194014

Link

Replying To Thelonesomegoose:  "Make no mistake if both Dublin hurling and football teams were playing the same weekend, they wouldn't be played on the same day unless it was a double header at 'neutral' Croke Park. But if our county board are happy with this outrage who are we to argue"
while it's awful to let facts get in the way of a good whinge or a stab at the county board for being happy with this "outrage", unfortunately lonesomegoose (or whatever today's moniker is for your mutli faceted personality) the facts are Dublin are often playing on the same weekend and on the same day and at different venues. I do believe as recently as last March 16th they played in the Hurling league quarter final in Thurles against Tipp and in football the same day in Croke Park against Tyrone.

Make no mistake about it

leitrimlhady (Leitrim) - Posts: 74 - 12/06/2019 17:22:48    2194037

Link

Just seen that Diarmuid Mckiernan left the Leitrim panel after Saturday's game, 8th departure since the league final
Terry will have it tight to find a No.2 goalie between now and next Saturday

Lúdramán27 (Leitrim) - Posts: 5 - 12/06/2019 17:55:53    2194058

Link

I'm sure the Ballinamore keeper will come back in for the game. Unless McCrann gets injured it won't effect the team at all. It's a pity too see McKiernan go all the same. He must be heading away the face that he stuck at it this far and now decides to leave.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 160 - 12/06/2019 18:52:17    2194083

Link

Replying To leitrimlhady:  "while it's awful to let facts get in the way of a good whinge or a stab at the county board for being happy with this "outrage", unfortunately lonesomegoose (or whatever today's moniker is for your mutli faceted personality) the facts are Dublin are often playing on the same weekend and on the same day and at different venues. I do believe as recently as last March 16th they played in the Hurling league quarter final in Thurles against Tipp and in football the same day in Croke Park against Tyrone.

Make no mistake about it"
Make no mistake about it you're talking about the league. I'm talking about the championship.
While some departures from the squad were to be welcomed, the majority are not to be and that is worrying me this morning

Thelonesomegoose (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 13/06/2019 08:19:50    2194245

Link

My opinion on team for the next day although I'll be wrong is that the keeper and Back 6 are sure to start. Shane Moran will start and Terry's descisiom will be who to start with him. Half forward line is my concern out of the 6 starting forwards the only 3 I'd starts from the Wicklow game is Quinn, Dolan, O Rourke. I'd replace Flynn, McWeeney and Sweeney with Plunkett, (Heslin if Fit) and Brady if Heslin not fit then Oisin madden to play as a defensive minded forward like McWeeney only he has huge pace

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 160 - 13/06/2019 11:12:36    2194309

Link

Best of luck to my neighbours against Clare. Should be a game you'd be aiming to win

flavinisbetterthannerney (Longford) - Posts: 14 - 13/06/2019 11:20:23    2194314

Link

Replying To flavinisbetterthannerney:  "Best of luck to my neighbours against Clare. Should be a game you'd be aiming to win"
Cheers buddy- ye won't win against Tyrone though which is a pity. Padraig Davis is a wonderful coach, super super guy. ye are lucky to have him

bringbackthecorncrakewouldu (Leitrim) - Posts: 58 - 13/06/2019 11:55:19    2194340

Link

I saw that Jim McGuinness was sacked as coach of that soccer team- any chance we could approach him?? Surely these are the type of guys we should aim for- aim high and all that. He is unemployed, lives in a neighbouring county, would know Terry well from their days in Ulster championship and surely he would be tempted???

He could be put in charge of our underage maybe, or even help out with underage teams, squads?? Would he work under Joe Cox at under 20??

Certainly would think it should be considered.

bringbackthecorncrakewouldu (Leitrim) - Posts: 58 - 13/06/2019 12:02:01    2194344

Link

Replying To bringbackthecorncrakewouldu:  "Cheers buddy- ye won't win against Tyrone though which is a pity. Padraig Davis is a wonderful coach, super super guy. ye are lucky to have him"
Yes Padraig showed how good he was down your neck of the woods with St Killian's Fener I think it was. I'd be hopeful both counties will be celebrating come Sunday evening. We are not afraid of Mickey men

flavinisbetterthannerney (Longford) - Posts: 14 - 13/06/2019 12:02:40    2194345

Link