Leitrim Forum

Qualifiers 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "Why McCrann? Surely Diarmaid is the obvious choice for Wicklow. If Terry & Co don't restore faith in the youngster he will be lost to Leitrim as will some others if Terry doesn't improve his man mgmnt skills and talk to players about his decisions .Would be great to have Darragh Rooney back on Saturday."
I'd have no problem with McKiernan starting. I see it as a 50/50 call between the 2 but the fact that McCrann started last few games and did well I can't see him being dropped now.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 157 - 06/06/2019 00:12:36    2191061

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I'd have no problem with McKiernan starting. I see it as a 50/50 call between the 2 but the fact that McCrann started last few games and did well I can't see him being dropped now."
Personally I feel McKiernan is a better stopper and had great league, we are fortunate to have 2 good keepers.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 122 - 06/06/2019 11:48:48    2191135

Link

Just seen the leitrim announcement there. It's shocking. Surely that can't be the team that starts. Leaving jack Heslin, McGloin and Gary Plunkett on the bench and having a half forward line of Donal flynn and Sean Mc weeney in it with absouletly no pace at all. The other player being shane quinn who I assume will be the sweeper. Obviously something isn't right in the camp I also mccaffery starting midfield and I don't think he's played many mins this year. Surely his club man dean Mc govern should be starting. I hope I'm proved wrong but I can see us being turned over on Saturday.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 157 - 06/06/2019 17:15:28    2191223

Link

Wicklow will beat us I'm afraid

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 59 - 06/06/2019 18:03:56    2191240

Link

Look I do think that team if they start as named (which is not a guarantee) will be good enough to beat Wicklow especially with the impact from the bench it's going to be tight though.

However, that team is disheartening. It looks as if Terry is gone back to the stereotype that followed him around when he managed Cavan that he is a defensive manager that lacks trust in forwards. Here's how it looks like they'll line up

McCrann
McWeeney Maguire Flynn
McWeeney
Reynolds McCaffery Mulvey Quinn
Plunkett
Dolan
Flynn O'Rourke
Sweeney Moran
Now I could be wrong with a few of the positions but I'd be flabbergasted to see Mark Plunkett back at centre back. I actually though he was coming to terms with the position before they moved him back to midfield for the league final but since he went to no 8 he has been our best player. So to now switch him again would be hard to figure out. He ended up at full back in the league game in Derry could we see him marking McGraynor? (hopefully not). His one weakness is pace and McLoughlin for Wicklow who will probably be no 11 has pace to burn so it'd be crazy to waste Plunkett on him

Domhnail Flynn hasn't been up to it but as I guessed he has retained his place as he is a left footed free taker. Evan Sweeney was just as bad as Gary Plunkett in the Hyde but once again Plunkett gets dropped which is hard to figure out especially when you compare both players body of work for club and county.

I'm assuming Oisin McCaffery won't be at midfield as he plays full back for his club. There was talk before the Roscommon game that he was moving well in training but like Fergal McTague to put him in midfield a position he doesn't play with his club for his debut would be another massive gamble. Especially when Pearce Dolan is a midfielder but is named at full forward! Shane Moran is named at midfield when he didn't move from full forward when we were getting destroyed there in the Hyde?

My overall point is that there's no consistency and that young Fergal McTague looks like he has been made a scapegoat along with Gary Plunkett (Again). The Jack Heslin situation is the one that has been frustrating me. Terry clearly thinks he doesn't works hard enough off the ball but to me he gives us pace which we are lacking and he takes defenders away from Ryan O'Rourke with his movement and gives us an out ball. I'm hearing Cillian McGloin hasn't been fully fit so maybe that's why he isn't named to start.

From looking at that team it looks like the plan is to keep things tight in the first half and hope that O'Rourke gets back on song and then Heslin, Plunkett and McGloin see the game out for us in the 2nd half. Like the Louth game last year I think the boys will surprise a lot of people and give us a big performance.
But from our league panel we're missing: Darragh Rooney, Conor Cullen, Emlyn Mulligan, Eoin Ward, Damien Moran, James Rooney, Gary Reynolds, Sean Flanagan so it'll be interesting to see the make-up of our bench.

If Ryan can play like we all know he can and Moran plays like he did in the Hyde and Plunkett and Dolan control the middle third and Maguire and co shut down Wicklows attackers there no reason we can't win. On a side note any talk of a rift in the camp isn't true I don't agree with many of Terrys selections but that doesn't mean people should stir things that arent true. We've achieved our main goal of promotion and have a big year next year so we all need to get behind the lads.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 141 - 06/06/2019 19:45:08    2191266

Link

Best of luck to the Leitrim team today a big performance needed today anything less and a very positive year will finish on a real downer. Wouldn't be happy with team picked ( if it does actually line out that way) we're lacking pace in the forward line on particular and very light on scoring power. Going to be tight hopefully we can get over the line.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 367 - 08/06/2019 09:16:14    2191621

Link

Good luck to the lads today.Interesting team named.Alot of rubbish being talked by some posters here about the camp,the camp is fine,a few lads left,so what.This is a game that can go either way,as longford showed kildare are no great shakes so I wouldn't read too much into that game,we got hammered by Ross last year but rebounded well to give Louth a good clipping and pushed Monaghan in the first half before falling away in the second.We had a couple of early goal chances which if we took would have made a lot closer game.We can't afford to start slowly today,we need to take the game to Wicklow and if we stay a couple of points up our bench should finish them off.Liatroim Abu.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 156 - 08/06/2019 13:13:51    2191679

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "Look I do think that team if they start as named (which is not a guarantee) will be good enough to beat Wicklow especially with the impact from the bench it's going to be tight though.

However, that team is disheartening. It looks as if Terry is gone back to the stereotype that followed him around when he managed Cavan that he is a defensive manager that lacks trust in forwards. Here's how it looks like they'll line up

McCrann
McWeeney Maguire Flynn
McWeeney
Reynolds McCaffery Mulvey Quinn
Plunkett
Dolan
Flynn O'Rourke
Sweeney Moran
Now I could be wrong with a few of the positions but I'd be flabbergasted to see Mark Plunkett back at centre back. I actually though he was coming to terms with the position before they moved him back to midfield for the league final but since he went to no 8 he has been our best player. So to now switch him again would be hard to figure out. He ended up at full back in the league game in Derry could we see him marking McGraynor? (hopefully not). His one weakness is pace and McLoughlin for Wicklow who will probably be no 11 has pace to burn so it'd be crazy to waste Plunkett on him

Domhnail Flynn hasn't been up to it but as I guessed he has retained his place as he is a left footed free taker. Evan Sweeney was just as bad as Gary Plunkett in the Hyde but once again Plunkett gets dropped which is hard to figure out especially when you compare both players body of work for club and county.

I'm assuming Oisin McCaffery won't be at midfield as he plays full back for his club. There was talk before the Roscommon game that he was moving well in training but like Fergal McTague to put him in midfield a position he doesn't play with his club for his debut would be another massive gamble. Especially when Pearce Dolan is a midfielder but is named at full forward! Shane Moran is named at midfield when he didn't move from full forward when we were getting destroyed there in the Hyde?

My overall point is that there's no consistency and that young Fergal McTague looks like he has been made a scapegoat along with Gary Plunkett (Again). The Jack Heslin situation is the one that has been frustrating me. Terry clearly thinks he doesn't works hard enough off the ball but to me he gives us pace which we are lacking and he takes defenders away from Ryan O'Rourke with his movement and gives us an out ball. I'm hearing Cillian McGloin hasn't been fully fit so maybe that's why he isn't named to start.

From looking at that team it looks like the plan is to keep things tight in the first half and hope that O'Rourke gets back on song and then Heslin, Plunkett and McGloin see the game out for us in the 2nd half. Like the Louth game last year I think the boys will surprise a lot of people and give us a big performance.
But from our league panel we're missing: Darragh Rooney, Conor Cullen, Emlyn Mulligan, Eoin Ward, Damien Moran, James Rooney, Gary Reynolds, Sean Flanagan so it'll be interesting to see the make-up of our bench.

If Ryan can play like we all know he can and Moran plays like he did in the Hyde and Plunkett and Dolan control the middle third and Maguire and co shut down Wicklows attackers there no reason we can't win. On a side note any talk of a rift in the camp isn't true I don't agree with many of Terrys selections but that doesn't mean people should stir things that arent true. We've achieved our main goal of promotion and have a big year next year so we all need to get behind the lads."
Are you part of the Leitrim set up? How do you know there's no rift. Genuine question

Thelonesomegoose (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 08/06/2019 14:52:43    2191694

Link

Replying To Thelonesomegoose:  "Are you part of the Leitrim set up? How do you know there's no rift. Genuine question"
Great response today from the lads after the Hyde park debacle. Well done.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 156 - 08/06/2019 16:39:02    2191714

Link

Thankfully I was wrong and they didn't beat us. Definetly looked like a team that was united the way they played. I'd still have reservations on the pace of the half forward line. However that was a great result. If we can get another div 4/3 team we will have a 50/50 chance of winning that.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 157 - 08/06/2019 17:39:11    2191740

Link

Very important win today for the lads, they dug deep despite not playing particularly well . Great to see Ryan O'Rourke back playing well and Pearse Dolan kicked some good scores too , decision making and finishing in the forwards still an issue though. Paddy Maguire was outstanding in the backs too. Hopefully it will help restore confidence badly dented in the Hyde. Hopefully the draw will be favourable Monday, we definitely need to avoid Mayo and Tyrone and probably a few others. Sligo or Limerick probably the most winnable.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 367 - 08/06/2019 21:36:49    2191894

Link

Thought Dolan was our stand out player yesterday, and Plunkett was good too. We only ever got going in fits and starts, but always good to get a Championship win but Wicklow are no great shakes seeing as their keeper was their main scoring threat. After about 15 years we finally seem to have taken a bit to the qualifiers. Lots to work on - the half forward line was as slow as treacle, we took too much out of the ball at times and hopefully we get a decent draw on Monday. Crowd was a bit disappointing, but hopefully more people will turn out if we're at home next time out.

MagnumPIG (Leitrim) - Posts: 124 - 09/06/2019 10:22:04    2192061

Link

Clare it is then.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 156 - 10/06/2019 08:59:49    2192585

Link

So we got Clare in the next round of qualifiers, an eminently winnable tie for us, couldn't have got much better, halfdinner Clare will be thinking the exact same thing

Thelonesomegoose (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 10/06/2019 09:23:35    2192595

Link

I suppose we got the 4th hardest team out of the 8 possible. I don't think Clare are as good as Roscommon but are a lot better than Wicklow. It will be a good test for us too see exactly where we are at. My hunch is that we will give them a game of it in Carrick but they will be that little bit more clinical and prob be 5 or 6 points better than us come the final whistle. The performance is the main thing and to rattle Clare would give these young lads good confidence going into div 3 next year. I would say Clare is the bar that leitrim need to aspire to reach in the next couple of years. They have held there own in div 2 and the Munster championships. I also think the players will see this as a realistic team they could shock. If we had drawn mayo Tyrone Armagh i don't think the players would have had much hope.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 157 - 10/06/2019 09:36:50    2192605

Link

the result was all that mattered on saturday, tough enough to watch, agree with the posts above regarding the half forward line - it needs serious work , good to see ryan back on form, more of the same next day, the game should have been put to bed a lot sooner

Clare is a step up in class now, they will be favourites but are no world beaters it was the 3rd best draw we could have got, glad to avoid mayo and the northern teams

manchesterbhoy (UK) - Posts: 11 - 10/06/2019 10:15:12    2192647

Link

A good win over Wicklow and good that a few of our players had big performances.
We got over the line just about but I thought we were far the better team overall but our shot selection and execution in the final third was so poor along with our strange tactical and personal set up which wasn't helping us to be fair.

Can't fathom why Sean McWeeney played as a conventional centre forward. Never once have I seen him anywhere near a forward position for either club or county it's unfair on the other forwards who aren't getting game time and on McWeeney himself who is being played out of position and isn't working either.

Same goes for D.Flynn he's starting on the team to take left footed free taking but missed his opportunity and isn't able to track back. In the first half all of Wicklows attacks came down his wing on the old shed side. If I was Jack Heslin or Cillian McGloin I wouldn't be impressed. Evan Sweeney had no impact what so ever on the game again and was lucky to stay on as long as he did.

The other big decision was to play Mark Plunkett Centre back. To be fair this worked out. McLoughlin who was giving him a roasting in the league game only came on with 5 minutes left, thankfully. Plunkett was arguably our best player and controlled the game. His foot passing opens up so many options for us and for someone who is a forward by trade he's probably our best tackler. I would still prefer to see him further up the field if I'm honest.

Not much more to say about Paddy Maguire, he's just excellent. Aidan Flynn showed why he should have started in the Hyde. Shane Quinn gave great energy and covers a crazy amount of ground in every game but his decision making and passing at times can be poor. Ray Mulvey was okay and kicked a good point but as a team we can't afford to have a wing back kicking 3 or 4 wides. Conor Reynolds has been the find of the year. Nobody would have expected him to have been near the county team at the start of the year yet he is worth his place. He is so honest and is well able to get stuck in and he will only get better going forward.

Pearce Dolan and Ryan O'Rourke won us the game. Great to see Dolan really thrive on this team and look like he has a bit of confidence as everyone has been waiting for him to put in a performance like the other day. Once he puts on more timber this should become a regular occurrence. Finally, Ryan O'Rourke was a joy to watch again. Now it has to be said this was against another Division 4 team but they couldn't handle him. He gets everyone excited when he's on the ball and he could have had a goal and a few more points along with the 7 he kicked. Once again against Clare he will be in for some extra treatment against defenders who are used to marking the Cliffords, Geaneys of this world so he will need to get more help and also get better himself. From a county who hasn't had much success in the qualifiers I'm hoping nobody is taking this for granted.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 141 - 10/06/2019 10:21:39    2192654

Link

This game reminds me of the game agin Laois a few years back,they were also a Div 2 team and we gave them a right good rattle and should have bate them,and but for the sloppy goal just before half time i think we would have.That game on Saturday will have brought us on tons and given the lads a good confidence boost.Hoping for a late Saturday evening throw in and a big crowd.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 156 - 10/06/2019 10:31:13    2192668

Link

I believe the hurlers will be in Croker on the Saturday so would make sense for the Clare game to be Sunday afternoon

Should have won by a lot more on Saturday really but at least it's a step in the right direction again

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 282 - 10/06/2019 10:49:13    2192685

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "A good win over Wicklow and good that a few of our players had big performances.
We got over the line just about but I thought we were far the better team overall but our shot selection and execution in the final third was so poor along with our strange tactical and personal set up which wasn't helping us to be fair.

Can't fathom why Sean McWeeney played as a conventional centre forward. Never once have I seen him anywhere near a forward position for either club or county it's unfair on the other forwards who aren't getting game time and on McWeeney himself who is being played out of position and isn't working either.

Same goes for D.Flynn he's starting on the team to take left footed free taking but missed his opportunity and isn't able to track back. In the first half all of Wicklows attacks came down his wing on the old shed side. If I was Jack Heslin or Cillian McGloin I wouldn't be impressed. Evan Sweeney had no impact what so ever on the game again and was lucky to stay on as long as he did.

The other big decision was to play Mark Plunkett Centre back. To be fair this worked out. McLoughlin who was giving him a roasting in the league game only came on with 5 minutes left, thankfully. Plunkett was arguably our best player and controlled the game. His foot passing opens up so many options for us and for someone who is a forward by trade he's probably our best tackler. I would still prefer to see him further up the field if I'm honest.

Not much more to say about Paddy Maguire, he's just excellent. Aidan Flynn showed why he should have started in the Hyde. Shane Quinn gave great energy and covers a crazy amount of ground in every game but his decision making and passing at times can be poor. Ray Mulvey was okay and kicked a good point but as a team we can't afford to have a wing back kicking 3 or 4 wides. Conor Reynolds has been the find of the year. Nobody would have expected him to have been near the county team at the start of the year yet he is worth his place. He is so honest and is well able to get stuck in and he will only get better going forward.

Pearce Dolan and Ryan O'Rourke won us the game. Great to see Dolan really thrive on this team and look like he has a bit of confidence as everyone has been waiting for him to put in a performance like the other day. Once he puts on more timber this should become a regular occurrence. Finally, Ryan O'Rourke was a joy to watch again. Now it has to be said this was against another Division 4 team but they couldn't handle him. He gets everyone excited when he's on the ball and he could have had a goal and a few more points along with the 7 he kicked. Once again against Clare he will be in for some extra treatment against defenders who are used to marking the Cliffords, Geaneys of this world so he will need to get more help and also get better himself. From a county who hasn't had much success in the qualifiers I'm hoping nobody is taking this for granted."
Oh that post is so wise and full of wisdom- I really wish you were part of the management set up. It is a pity you are in Australia though as you would be an invaluable asset to have

bringbackthecorncrakewouldu (Leitrim) - Posts: 58 - 10/06/2019 11:51:17    2192756

Link