Leitrim Forum

Division 1,2 And The Rest.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

They good news is it's back to the club scene again this weekend which I'm looking forward to, hard to beat it! Time to erase the Roscommon memories from the brain. I'll be attending Ballinamore and Aughawillian on Saturday evening it should be a battle royale

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 16/05/2019 10:45:56    2184511

Link

Eslin are continuing to roar in training so I'm looking forward to the weekend fixtures too

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 16/05/2019 11:27:02    2184532

Link

Why isn't there a full round of league fixtures this weekend?

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 58 - 18/05/2019 15:45:55    2185226

Link

Brilliant game between Ballinamore and Aughawillan. Ballinamore unlucky to not win the game. Concerning how the ref could only give yellows for head high challenges. I thought Croke Park said the should be red cards for them kinds of tackles?

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 18/05/2019 20:40:47    2185303

Link

Standard of refferee in the county is shocking bad. I think the county board should introduce a referee MOT that must be completed annually in order for the refs to officiate games, it should consist of the following; passing a basic eye test, hearing test, basic maths adding and subtracting, being able to see their own feet when they look down and passing a fitness test maybe complete a 5k run in 30 minutes is that to much to ask.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 19/05/2019 13:57:00    2185486

Link

Replying To harleys:  "Standard of refferee in the county is shocking bad. I think the county board should introduce a referee MOT that must be completed annually in order for the refs to officiate games, it should consist of the following; passing a basic eye test, hearing test, basic maths adding and subtracting, being able to see their own feet when they look down and passing a fitness test maybe complete a 5k run in 30 minutes is that to much to ask."
Fully agree with this and any referee who fails should be immediately struck off the list. We have to get better referees and the only way to do this is get rid of any one not up to the standard that we here on HS approve of. If we had a scarcity of referees or lads willing to put their names forward then fair enough but with the abundance of quality young referees and new recruits there is no excuse.

Castelfore (Leitrim) - Posts: 49 - 19/05/2019 22:49:24    2185688

Link

I actually think the standard is a little better now than it was in years gone bye. All games went as predicted I'd have thought this weekend. Wins for manor and Melvin Geals. While SOH and the willies was always going to be a closer hard fought incounter. In Div 2 Drumkeerin had a good win over glera. Drumkeerin are hitting big scores in games something they would not be renowned for. Drumreilly had a very good in the top of the table game v D,haire. Cloone don't seem to be going to well have they lost a few players?

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 154 - 20/05/2019 01:14:45    2185722

Link

At this stage you would have to say next year Div 1 will look like this;
Sean O Heslin's
Mohill
Melvin Gaels
Glencar/Manor
St Mary's
Aughawillan
St Caillins
Annaduff

Div 2
Leitrim Gaels
Allen Gaels
Aughnasheelin
Gortletteragh
Drumkeerin
Drumreilly
Dromahair
Ballinaglera

Div 3
Eslin
Kiltubrid
Cloone
Carrigallen
Aughavas
Bornacoola
Glenfarne/Kilty
Mohill/ Manor/ st Marys/ Sean O Heslin's second team.

This looks like it's shaping up to have very competitive leagues, 7 games which means league should be completed before championship begins.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 20/05/2019 09:35:41    2185759

Link

Carberys from Longford must have left Cloone they where great players. One of them was involved with Leitrim for the FBD league around two years ago. I see where Mooney from Down saw red for a head high tackle yesterday. I disagree I think the standard of the refs in the county is awful

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 20/05/2019 09:49:09    2185767

Link

Replying To Villatown:  "Brilliant game between Ballinamore and Aughawillan. Ballinamore unlucky to not win the game. Concerning how the ref could only give yellows for head high challenges. I thought Croke Park said the should be red cards for them kinds of tackles?"
Am i correct in believing Patrick Guickan was the ref here on Saturday? If so i find your statement hard to believe. He was in charge of the county final last year and did an excellent job. Ive seen him in a number of other club games and i would honestly say he is one of the best refs in the county at the moment

index777 (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 20/05/2019 13:57:23    2185915

Link

Replying To index777:  "Am i correct in believing Patrick Guickan was the ref here on Saturday? If so i find your statement hard to believe. He was in charge of the county final last year and did an excellent job. Ive seen him in a number of other club games and i would honestly say he is one of the best refs in the county at the moment"
I too was at the match. I thought Guckian did well. it wasn't a dirty game and 2 lads were sent off due to combination of yellow and black cards, no big deal. there was a high challenge from a willie player but in fairness I thought this was accidental and not intentional. and as so I felt he dealt with it right. it was an exciting game, but i think ballinamore will come away from it feeling they have a lot more to do than the willies. the willies completed dominated the first half and probably 10-15 minutes of the second half and looked like they might run away with it, but credit to ballinamore they came back well. Mark Plunkett gave McKeon a roasting in the first half and so McKeon was moved to the wing where he did a lot of damage, Fergal mcTague was very solid at fullback on shane moran and begs the question why he didn't start there for Leitrim. on the ballinamore side, Niall McGovern was good as was young Tom prior, Moran and dean McGovern were average. am I right in saying Flanagan & Gillheany will be back for the willies for the championship, if they are they'll be very hard bet.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 257 - 20/05/2019 14:26:54    2185927

Link

I disagree about Patrick he's card happy. In my opinion I thought Shane Moran was excellent and Niall McGovern also very good. Wayne McKeown was excellent as an attacking centre back doesn't have the best defensive awareness however. I thought McTeague had a hard time at the office and was involved with the high tackle on Moran. Christy Prior I believe was the other Willes player that was yellow carded for a high challenge. Ballinamore have a lot going for them but just need to get things running smoother when the challenges arrive

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 20/05/2019 16:45:39    2185979

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "At this stage you would have to say next year Div 1 will look like this;
Sean O Heslin's
Mohill
Melvin Gaels
Glencar/Manor
St Mary's
Aughawillan
St Caillins
Annaduff

Div 2
Leitrim Gaels
Allen Gaels
Aughnasheelin
Gortletteragh
Drumkeerin
Drumreilly
Dromahair
Ballinaglera

Div 3
Eslin
Kiltubrid
Cloone
Carrigallen
Aughavas
Bornacoola
Glenfarne/Kilty
Mohill/ Manor/ st Marys/ Sean O Heslin's second team.

This looks like it's shaping up to have very competitive leagues, 7 games which means league should be completed before championship begins."
Division 1 won't be finish before club championship

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 58 - 20/05/2019 18:11:22    2186021

Link

Great to see Eslin still roaring in training. Feeling very positive about this year's campaigns

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 21/05/2019 09:17:31    2186169

Link

Replying To williesboy:  "Division 1 won't be finish before club championship"
I am talking about the new league format next year, only 7 league games plus finals should see all divisions completed before the 2020 championship begins

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 21/05/2019 10:43:44    2186212

Link

delighted to see Emlyn Mulligan out playing at weekend despite the injuries that made him walk away from leitrim!! Must have some medical team in Kinlough

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 21/05/2019 11:01:33    2186219

Link

It's the holy water in Kinlough powerful stuff

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 21/05/2019 19:11:02    2186395

Link

Replying To tashy:  "delighted to see Emlyn Mulligan out playing at weekend despite the injuries that made him walk away from leitrim!! Must have some medical team in Kinlough"
Just like you tashy, you came back from allot of injuries as I can recall over the years. You were one of the best .

moreinu (Leitrim) - Posts: 10 - 26/05/2019 09:58:11    2187520

Link

Some win for Leitrim Gaels against the Willies. Willies struggling in the League same happened last year and we know what happened?

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 26/05/2019 18:03:23    2187702

Link

Ballinamore 5-5 Aughasheelin 2pts some beating in the Derby. Ballinamore motoring well if they get the heads right could give championship a serious rattle

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 26/05/2019 23:59:03    2187910

Link