Carlow Forum

It Starts Again (Club Hurling)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

doubt that will happen considering its a double header with intermediate football final

urhavinalaugh (Carlow) - Posts: 73 - 04/10/2011 15:56:48    1046325

Link

Topfan I didn't paint all the older lads with the one brush if you read my post. What I said was one or two. For example Frank Foley and Carl Lawlor had excellent games last Sunday. Frank, Carl, Gary Doyle, Willie Hickey will never let you down on a big day.
Urhavinalaugh, I think what you are saying is a fair point. I think there are only a couple that need to be replaced and if you look at the bench on Sunday we had Willie Hickey who didn't start and also Pauric Nolan. So we are not that short of experience. There also a number of younger players who could be introduced. I have named them before.
My real point is that people like Richard Coady, Denis Murphy, Paul Coady and David Phelan for example who were substituted were not worse than what was left on the field. This is a recurring theme. Regardless of how these lads play they will substitute again the next day. Pauric Nolan who never seems to start always does well when he plays but then gets dropped for the following game. If the selectors can tell me that Richard Coady was the problem on Sunday and needed to be replaced then they must have been watching a different game than me. Myshall scored 2 points from play and we replace our then centre back who was hurling well. What about the decision to replace our three free takers. Your point about putting Richard Coady back on is a good one. The reason for this is that our selectors believed that we had won a free, realised that we had no freetaker on the field and sent Richard back on to take it. It then turned out that it was only a line ball. This is the level of competence that we are dealing with.

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 04/10/2011 16:07:17    1046334

Link

fair points aragorn maybe a fresh outlook in management is whats needed. club probably dont want to change the winning formulae in a hurry which is understandable as for the last 10 years ye havent done much wrong at senior level only critisism is should prob have more titles but they are not that easily won as sun proved.still on their day they are way above the rest and as i said they have been going a long time now overall so also understandable that they have dropped off a wee bit in the last 2 years or so. up to people in the parish concerned to get themselves on a committee and air these things out in the committe room and for those people to decide whats best but a fresh face in the management team wouldnt go astray it shouldnt just be the players who need to be kept on their toes. also another point made was the drop off in county players for ye as they where probably your best performers ver the last number of years and their game seems to have dropped off a level since leaving the county fold. also would like to see eddie byrne get back to hurling like he did a year or so ago the opposite seems to have affected him in that hes playing too much and is affecting his performance in my opinion hes nowhere near affective for ye as he should be.
i know ye are probably dissappoointed with the performance sunday but as nuetral and speaking to others from my own club we thought it was a cracking tough game full of intensity and i know defensive games are tough watching but some of the last ditch tackles and defending was immense and every player out there was in a prpoer tough battle that we havent seen this year so not to be too hard on your team myshall put in a very solid performance and raised their game to a higher level than seen by them this year so just leads to hopefully another entertaining contest for sunday and may the best team win.

urhavinalaugh (Carlow) - Posts: 73 - 04/10/2011 17:02:59    1046396

Link

Couldnt disagree with most of what you say. My question is when are we going to raise our game to a new level. This poor performances have been going on for 2-3 years now. As for getting on a committe and changing things that is also a fair point. My answer to that is that i dont hear any of the players looking for a change and that to me is very dissapointing. They went back and looked for the same managment team that had performed dismally the previous year. Not the brightest idea in my book but too late to chage now.

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 04/10/2011 17:55:41    1046441

Link

i too was puzzled by some of the subs and switches on sunday. no disrespect to james hickey, who has been a loyal servant to club and county for along tme, but he was roasted at 6 - think he fouled for 3 of myshalls scores in first half, and then was moved to centrefield where mullins and roberts were v dominant there after. not blaming it all on him or anything! but i feel he could have gone way before any of the others as he didnt contribute much. i think if he is put back at 6 the next day myshall will win as they will target him and turn him/run at him. and i feel its a bad tactic to move him when he was positioned there, up to take line balls. if you arent going to kill the ball from it, it means several other players have to move to cover. thats managements call. the lads who were hauled ashore were unlucky in my eyes but then its not my job to do it! i think for the next day that if mlr set themselves like the did in the second half and play v deep half forwards, and pick the right full forward line, they ll be in with a godd shout. i also think its a bad tactic to pull shane kavangh too far out as he can punish you as on sunday - pull him across the pitch upto 30 yards out. play good ball in front of the forwards and get them moving. the backs on both sides did v well and were well disciplined. v hard work by them. but sometimes their clearances were more hit and hope than have a look up and try pick out a man.. dwaine kavanagh who got on a huge amount of ball being case in point. what a super game he had, but with a little more composure he could have really punished mlr backs with better ball. lets hope the replay is a tad more open. well done to david hughes on a good game too. he was man enough to hold his hands up twice when he made errors. he let the game go as best he could too.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2598 - 04/10/2011 20:05:17    1046531

Link

I am looking forward to the replay also. I think it will be a different game on Sunday. Most replays rarely match the first game but do match it in their intensity. Last Sundays game certainly had that intensity.
Myshall will be keen to improve on their lack of score power and MLR will try to open the game a bit more to score a little more. It should be very interesting and its good to see these 2 hammer at it again. I hope the weather is kind for the day and helps the standard of play. Best of luck to both teams.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1508 - 06/10/2011 17:04:54    1047743

Link

Have to agree ,will be a different game tomorrow.I hope it is a more open game than the last day and i think if the rangers can keep out the goals they will win. Naomh Eoin i think will be happy with the same game as last week and if that happens then it could swing in their favour .MLR have the potential to get scores but are not finding the space to get them. Hope the day holds up.

Clux (Carlow) - Posts: 72 - 08/10/2011 11:33:23    1048611

Link

Well done to Rangers on a fantastic performance yesterday!! Really stood up whetn counted. great performances all over the field. Were very comfortable winners in the end.
Aragorn you were soooo wrong!!!!!!

Dualclub1 (Carlow) - Posts: 255 - 10/10/2011 11:30:16    1049339

Link

ya lads fair play 2 ye i always knew ye cud hurl but on the big day sum times ye failed 2 deliver and i taught we wud beat ye because of that but ye stood up yesterday and showed that ye can hurl and are not afraid of hard hitting either in last 15 min ye out run us and out muscles us

caman123 (Carlow) - Posts: 141 - 10/10/2011 11:52:14    1049352

Link

Dualclub, I would add my congratulations to the team. They were outstanding yesterday. Stood up to Myshall in every way. I would question Myshall decision to start a row to try and throw Rangers off their game. It seemed to only rise the Rangers and backfired on Myshall in a big way.

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 10/10/2011 11:57:09    1049355

Link

Thought presentation of cup was a shambles yesterday.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 10/10/2011 13:10:08    1049417

Link

wud agree wit u aragorn it as simple as this myshall dont have they men 2 play that sort of game anymore i think d kavanagh wud be a better foward and shane kav in half back line or mid field there good hurlers but not man markers myshall need a few hard grafters before they win anything there 2 many lads in they team just looking for loose balls

caman123 (Carlow) - Posts: 141 - 10/10/2011 14:26:51    1049488

Link

why was the presentation a shambles yesterday? what happened before the throw in? heard there was a row?

highshoulder (Carlow) - Posts: 22 - 10/10/2011 18:37:09    1049718

Link

best team won anyhow. the row was unfortunate alright. i dont think either side intended it to escalate as it did but neither were prepared to back down. the game itself saw some heavy hitting - all fair may i add.. well most of it! mlr seemed to have the firepower and that took them over the line. some lads really upped their game and the couple of switches worked well. myshall deserve great credit too for their spirit and fight. upfront the were struggling with only j m nolan providing a real threat to mlr.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2598 - 10/10/2011 20:05:11    1049796

Link

jaysus lads, have to say as a neutral, yday was the best €15 euro i ever spent. first of all, while the inter football overall was dissapointing with clonmore failing to show up, it was worth the entrance fee to see young beatons 25 minutes for st andrews, 1-04 i think he got having only come on after half time and taken off with a few mins to go, he looked class. And then the main course. it had everything. the row was unreal, you didnt know where to look, it was savage. i was on old press box side so i didnt see what went on in the stand but i heard it was interesting too. I was wondering what dwyer was going to do, he could've sent 3 or 4 off from each side, but in fairness i think he did the sensible thing and got the game going as quick as he could. after that the hits were savage if almost always on the ball, the 1st half wasnt classic hurling but it was intense, hard and interesting. the 2nd half much better and faster. the better team def won in the end, thought denis murphy was class all through. have to say well done to both teams on a really enjoyable and entertaining game, tough manly stuff but hard and fair. and also thought dwyer reffed it well too, let the game flow sensebly and didnt dish too many cards. all in all lads an excellent afternoons fare

pieman (Carlow) - Posts: 65 - 10/10/2011 20:24:16    1049812

Link

tought sundays game was a fab one. The best team won without a shadow of a doubt. there hurling was sharper they were more manly and outmuscled myshall. tought the rangers backs were imense the half back line specially tought the switches suited lads better eddie coady was at home at wing back and james hickey on the other wing was outstanding he was like a man possessed. tought nolan had a super game in mid field. john coady scored 4 points all sublime. Denis Murphy was brill back to his best and willie hickey was the key links the forwards for the rangers men. as for myshall tought john micheal nolan was the best player on the field in the first half, other then that they were beaten in every sector really.
tought the referee had a great game. its not often they get credit but tought he had a great game.

oki (Carlow) - Posts: 38 - 12/10/2011 13:22:21    1050795

Link

aragorn1
County: Carlow

The second game was worse viewing. Btown will win nothing. If the couldn't beat us (MLR) concidering how poor we were i dont hold much hope for them. That is twice now that MLR have been extremly poor and BTown could capitalise. As for the Rangers, same old same old. No plan, no fresh ideas and no clue as to what the should or shouldnt be doing. Would be very surprised if they win anything this year. They are stale and lack leadership both on and off the field. As a rangers man i am very disapointed with progress over the past 2-3 years. The same people over the team with no new ideas and no desire for change. How they looked at some of the players on the pitch for the full game is beyond me. They then took the easy option and took off a young lad rather than make a tough decision. Its almost becoming an embarresement to go and look at them now. What was the idea of not playing to their numbers. A silly stunt that shows the lack of ideas on the line.

However if the players on the team are willing to accept that level of performance then they deserve all they get. if they are happy to accept the staus quo then they will be looking at another semi final or final defeat come end of year. I still believe they will make the semi final but only because everybody else is so poor.

Any responce on this Aragorn????? What a fickle supporter

Dualclub1 (Carlow) - Posts: 255 - 13/10/2011 11:01:15    1051267

Link

Yes Dualclub, I have a response to it. For starters if you were so sure I was wrong why didn't you come out and criticise me before they won the replay. Where were you after the first day? If you think that the team was setup correctly for the replay then why don't you acknowledge that they were not up to that? I make no bones about my criticism of the players and management. They got it right for the replay and I fully acknowledge that. If that was the right selection for the replay then what were they playing at all year. How could anybody leave a player like Pauric Nolan on the line all year when he showed what he contributes every time he comes on. How could they take off Richard Cody twice this year when he has been one of the best players MLR have. In my opinion, one good result doesn't disguise the rubbish selection decisions and lack of leadership up to that.
In my opinion this team won the county title in spite of what management did rather than because of it. The players stood up to the bullying from Myshall on Sunday and I hope they stand up and be counted when selectors and trainers are considered for next year. If they do then there is a real chance of moving forward and playing some really good hurling. Last Sunday shows us what this team is capable of if the players really want it. As for you Dualclub it is you and your ilk that have accepted the status quo for the past 2-3 years. It shows your true colours that you have to wait until the players deliver before you speak up. At least i have expressed my opinion both on here and in public and am not going to change my mind because of one good result.

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 13/10/2011 12:57:38    1051335

Link

aragorn,
you constantly repeat 3 years of poor performances. ok lets look at the facts.
2009 county champions, kilkenny league champions, beaten leinster finalists.
2010 beaten county finalists minus Frank Foley, Brain Nolan, Denis Murphy, plus 2 or 3 others that i cant think of that day.
2011 kilkenny league champs, carlow league champs, CARLOW SENIOR HURLING CHAMPIONS

wounldnt be too bad in my opinion a lot of clubs would like that success, actually you would call that been very sucessful over a 3 year period.
o yeah and in the 3 years prior to that to they won 2 more championships i think and were only with a last minute goal not to complete the 3 in a row.

i think you should stop critisiseing these outstanding bunch of men, these are giants of the game.
also you seem to have a problem with the ageing members of your clubs team. as where i think there the key men i think it was a couple of these guys that showed last sunday before a ball was thrown in enough was enough and got the ball rolling by standing up to myshall. my club could do with a few Eddie Coadys and Jamsie Hickeys

as for your comment to dualclub why didnt he come on last week and have a go, its the week of a county final, you want to be getting behind your club that week, not knocking them on a public site.

maybe you should go support Naomh Moan...................................

CarlowGael (Carlow) - Posts: 41 - 13/10/2011 13:41:04    1051364

Link

Carlowgael, not too sure if you were at any of our Senior hurling games for the past couple of years. I make all the MLR ones and quite a few of the others also. If you can tell me that the Rangers have played to their potential in those games then that's fair enough. That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I just don't believe it.

I have no doubt that anybody from MLR knows who I am and from dualclubs posts then it isn't hard to figure out who he is either. I think I can stand over anything I have said and it's nothing that I don't say publicly. It's very difficult to get a club to where MLR are now but it is very easy to slip back down again. I want to see this team progress and dominate for the next couple of years. With the talent they have, that's what they should be doing. We won't always have the players we have at present and we need to make the most of it not squander away finals like we did last year.
Wont be supporting Myshall anytime soon

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 13/10/2011 15:17:57    1051446

Link