Carlow Forum

It Starts Again (Club Hurling)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

So its nearly Here.

Who Will Win the Championship this Year?????

I'm going with Bagnelstown Champions.
ST Mullins Runners Up
Myshall & Naomh Brid Beaten Semi Finalists.

Sportie (Carlow) - Posts: 44 - 19/04/2011 15:29:26    914984

Link

And Rangers nowhere not even in the semi finals can't see that happening.

hurlingguru (Carlow) - Posts: 1813 - 19/04/2011 18:20:03    915134

Link

YAWN!!!!!

tubbs (USA) - Posts: 126 - 19/04/2011 19:01:12    915183

Link

Sportie i would like to know your logic behind these prediction? How can you say the rangers wont make semi finals nd erins own to win when they wernt near semis last year. Wudnt rule out miseal either but think rangers all the way I think it wil a good opening weekend and i fancy st mullins by 5 rangers by 8 and miseal by 3.

carlow4life (Carlow) - Posts: 46 - 19/04/2011 21:27:29    915313

Link

Sportie MLR not even making the semi ? you might give that a rethink. I would think MLR and St mullens will make semi with 2 of N Brid,B/town and myshal if I am right the Myshal Vs N brid game sunday is very important to both clubs, I notice that the 2 Brennans were injured for the Clare game last week and cant see N Brid beaten Myshal without them. Anyone know if they will be playing. MLR and St Mullens to win there matches

wrongagain (Carlow) - Posts: 3 - 20/04/2011 16:40:18    915802

Link

ok lads whats the verdict on sunday with the S.H.C. back, is it gonna be the usual, rangers, myshall, or st mullins or are someone new gonna step up and make a serious challange this year.

burmabullet (Carlow) - Posts: 29 - 21/04/2011 12:07:35    916182

Link

I have posted already on this but it dosent seem to have got through.
Missed the first half of the St. Mullins and Ballinkillen match. Saw the second half and St. Mullins were shocking. Ballinkillen destroyed them in last 20 mins. Poor hurling with little intensity. Fair play to Ballinkillen for taking their chance.

The second game was worse viewing. Btown will win nothing. If the couldn't beat us (MLR) concidering how poor we were i dont hold much hope for them. That is twice now that MLR have been extremly poor and BTown could capitalise. As for the Rangers, same old same old. No plan, no fresh ideas and no clue as to what the should or shouldnt be doing. Would be very surprised if they win anything this year. They are stale and lack leadership both on and off the field. As a rangers man i am very disapointed with progress over the past 2-3 years. The same people over the team with no new ideas and no desire for change. How they looked at some of the players on the pitch for the full game is beyond me. They then took the easy option and took off a young lad rather than make a tough decision. Its almost becoming an embarresement to go and look at them now. What was the idea of not playing to their numbers. A silly stunt that shows the lack of ideas on the line.

However if the players on the team are willing to accept that level of performance then they deserve all they get. if they are happy to accept the staus quo then they will be looking at another semi final or final defeat come end of year. I still believe they will make the semi final but only because everybody else is so poor.

I didnt make the third match Sunday evening but i belive the standard of hurling was much better than the first two games. It could hardly be worse.

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 27/04/2011 16:38:11    919361

Link

Are you talking about Richard Kelly being taken off did he not break his hand?

hurlingguru (Carlow) - Posts: 1813 - 27/04/2011 20:21:34    919490

Link

Neither Richard nor the so called management team knew the extent of his injury until after the game. That was not the reason for taking him off. The reason for taking him off is that he is a quiet chap who won't complain when taken off. There were about 4 others who should have come off before him but the management either haven't got the backbone to make that decision or they are too close to some of those players.
Same old same old. That team needs radical changes and they are not going to get it from the line. It is up to the players to change things. However the senior ones won't make a move because they are sure of their place and the rest are too quiet. A pity as there is good potential in that team.

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 28/04/2011 09:16:19    919584

Link

Yes,Richard Kelly broke his wrist Hurlingguru!
Aragorn your not very well informed for a "supporter". I think your comments are rediculous, Rangers were practically missing the 2 of the best forwards in the county with both of them only playing a few minutes each plus Karol Lawlor and David Phelan.. Its only the middle of April by the way and if they keep their main players fit( unlike last year), I think they will be hard to beat! Erins Own was probably the toughest first round that they could of got, considering the effort that they are making under Damien fitzhenry.

Dualclub1 (Carlow) - Posts: 255 - 28/04/2011 10:04:38    919601

Link

The scorelines in all of the games so far suggest that its a defenders championship... 11 points won ballinkillen a game and 12 points won mlr a game... myshal got 13 scores to win and suprisingly naomh brid scored 15 times and ended up losing by 2 points! does this suggest that the standard of defending is top class or that the scoring ability of forwards is generally poor??

arrows85 (Carlow) - Posts: 202 - 28/04/2011 10:54:04    919630

Link

Maybe you should talk to the player yourself Dualclub. He didn't ask to be taken off and his performance even with a bone broken was better that at least four other untouchables on the team. What does that tell you about the performance of the other players? Tell me the last time one of the senior players on the team was substituted barring injury. Are you telling me that when all players are available for selection then the team will be picked on form? If it is then it will be the first time in three years that it has. That's a tired and lazy management team who have no ideas and no clue combined with several tired and poorly performing players who know they won't be substituted. Time to freshen things up or let somebody else in who will do it.

Your excuses about it being early in the season, or that Rangers were missing players completely misses the point. Missing players or early season do not mean that selected players on the field do not have to perform. That kind of attitude smacks of the management team that are in place at the moment. What excuses have you got for the performances last year? What excuses will you have at the end of this year? You are running out of scapegoats at this stage. Last year it was injuries that was cited. The year before that it was the involvement in the football that was given for the poor performances. Can't wait to hear the excuses this year. Maybe the purchase of a mirror would help for both some of the players and selectors.

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 28/04/2011 14:43:58    919846

Link

Aragon1 you seem to have some sort of grievance with these older players and management.Is it jealousy of this group of players been the only players to have senior hurling medals in the club?or what ?its a bad state when we stab our own players in the back by 1 of our own so called supporters.Is that why we have an AGM every year so that the CLUB can try and get it right then and why if you know everything did you not put your name forward ?.Who are all these younger lads that are losing out on the team because frank foley,james hickey gary doyle edward coady and karol lawlor are taking there places on the team because i take it by your comments quote"older lads" these are the oldest lads on the team , the rest are under 30. i have been to all the rangers games this year and these younger lads are not showing up with any promise, seems to be all talk about the young talent coming up.Will agree with the slow to take off players thing but who do we bring on that is going to change a game for us This group of players owe us nothing and are unlucky not to have a few more championship medals to there name

TopFan (Carlow) - Posts: 166 - 01/05/2011 08:28:37    921257

Link

Aragon, would I not be right in saying that since denis Murphy et al won minor 3 years ago, that ye have struggled to field in minor? In the last 3 years ye ve supplied 5 players to county minor panels, so I don't know what particular young Lads you have in mind. Ye have a great bunch if players down there and I admire how ye ve been one if the main factors in changing hurling in Carlow and how ye ve shaken up the club scene in the last decade. I would agree with you that ye haven't perhaps got the trophies to match. I felt their was an all Ireland in ye 2 years ago. Is this management and a lack of freshnes, possibly. But I feel that being a dual club and trying to win 2 codes with a small panel nowadays isn't on. I think this is more of a hamper in your progress myself. Like without training, there's about 15 matches in league/ champ to play, nevermind challenges. I don't think emeralds 2 years ago had the same worries! And it's the little things at this level that win games. Even though I m a ballinkillen man and hope we win the county title, l still think ye and yer style would have a better chance of Leinster success. But we ll do our best to stop ye!

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2601 - 01/05/2011 12:09:04    921322

Link

I don't have any jealousy of this team Topfan. I was absolutely delighted that they won the titles they won. They worked unbelievably hard to get there and they deserved everything they got. I would consider anybody who did not appreciate what they have done as a pretty sad. I have no qualms about their commitment to training or how the behave themselves off the pitch. They have been absolutely brilliant in that department. What I am questioning is how they are accepting what has happened to this team over the past 2-3 years. There has been no progress made and they have gone backwards at a rate of knots. Surely it is time to question the reasons for this.
From what I can see they did this at the start of the year and opted for the same management team again. Not terribly bright in my opinion. The definition of a fool is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. The senior players have become too comfortable with the setup and know their positions are secure. Just because i admire what they did shouldn't mean that i cant question what is happening. I think the people who aren't questioning what is going on should be ashamed of themselves and that includes you topfan.

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 03/05/2011 11:19:06    922456

Link

Old yeller thanks for the contribution. I understand what you are saying about the dual club and that is a problem for sure but i just dont believe it is the real cause of the problem. The young lads are there and they just havent got a chance. Colm Byrne, Denis Roche, Seamus Kelly and David Grennan who finnaly got a run run this year. Yet when a change is made it is always the quite chaps who get taken off, never the guys who are actually plying poorly.
As for our style of play unless i am am missing something there has been no stlye of play for the past year. How would you define our style of play agaainst St. Mullins last year or against BTown in the first game. Hit and hope maybe.

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 03/05/2011 11:43:07    922473

Link

Does anyone fancy Myshall to go the whole way this year??, they have been going well to date this year and with a mix of young and old they have a strong team!!

Carlow... (Carlow) - Posts: 2 - 03/05/2011 12:59:03    922565

Link

Have to be serious contenders alright. Also in the Leinster league final after winning last night v dunamangan of Kk.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2601 - 03/05/2011 13:38:58    922607

Link

Ye myshall are going well and in fairness they are due a final appearance,they havn't been in a Carlow Senior Hurling Final since 2005, the same year they gave James Stephens a big scare... Its a long time for a club with great tradition...

arrows85 (Carlow) - Posts: 202 - 03/05/2011 19:47:39    922991

Link

Aragon, I think when ye ve everyone going well, no club will stop ye. You mentioned a few lads names, 4 inparticular. I can't comment on why the aren't being played. To me ye ve very few weak links. I wouldn't be getting too worried just yet. Ye lost to St Mullins by a point despite playing a lot of the game with 14. It's not all doom and gloom! I d be more worried about the big break between the senior panel as it us now, and the lack of numbers in the 17 to 19/20 age group..

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2601 - 03/05/2011 21:50:22    923107

Link