Carlow Forum

The demise of Carlow football

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

An awful lot of comment here since I last checked in. In my opinion the county board need to move quickly once next Sunday's game is over if they have any interest in improving the plight of our county footballers. The players are better than results show and they deserve better from management and the county board. Management are out of their depth and the board need to recognise this and a change is needed quickly. After Sunday there are I think 10 or 11 weeks to the Meath game. Although hardly ideal I think this gives sufficient time for a new manager to come in and prepare a team properly.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1164 - 01/04/2014 21:56:26    1568971

Link

There's full co operation between the hurling clubs and the county hurlers

There's no co operation football clubs and the county football's.

The county board don't seem to care, theres nothing for the players to buy into.

Changing the manager is a short term fix, the same change will be sought next year or the year after if he dosen't deliver.

Rant over, final post on this issue that's going no where fast.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1962 - 02/04/2014 09:36:56    1569010

Link

As has been said here before fair dues to the lads who are putting it in, however some of the lads have been advanced too quickly to senior intr co level in the absence of men in key positions - our full back as someone said is a sub on the hurling team, the centre back position again fair dues to the lads who have been tried there - Derek Haydn if could keep his discipline would have been my man there - well able to hold the position - our midfield is gone ... up front Broderick and Kinsella have ben outstanding this season, lets hope they play next year whoever get the job ...

BTW ditching Rainbow now will make the job toxic for anyone interested in the position next year ... fairly plum job !!!

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 455 - 02/04/2014 09:44:18    1569017

Link

Who are the players who left the panel this time?? That is one of my pet hates.If a lad is not making his club team or doesn't like his club manager he doesn't drop off his club panel and never play for them again. This has been a problem in Carlow for years.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1075 - 02/04/2014 14:49:44    1569316

Link

I don't think the job could be anymore toxic than it already is. I think waiting until next season will just make the problem even worse. While a change now might bring back some of those that have either been dropped or walked away. Damage limitation in the Meath game has to be our goal for this year. I don't think a 30 to 40 point beating there will help and that's what we are on course for

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1260 - 02/04/2014 15:01:17    1569328

Link

Dropkickmurphy
County: Carlow

Have to agree with Dual. Lets just draw a line in the sand now, and get a local manager in. I would be in favour of Turlough O'Brien, I dont know him at all, but he seems to have a knowledge of whats required. He will speak the language of the players who he brings in. No more outside managers, it just doesnt work for us. It does for some, but not Carlow. Club football is no better in surrounding counties, so it is a matter of just gelling the county team, and inspiring players to want to play , and I think only a local man can do that.However there must be a significant change of focus from the County Board, and a real support for players and managers alike.

While I agree that most counties are better off with a local manager, sometimes outside Influence can help if only for a year or so to get things on track. Maybe rather than bringing in an outside manager, perhaps send coaches from Carlow to look and study what some of the big teams do. Granted not many will open their doors easily, but considering that Carlow won't likely be challeging them for SAM in the next 2 seasons or so, they just might give an outline of their annual training regime.

Benny Kavanagh says that they spend too much time on the training field ( 2 hours ), he is probably right in some ways and wrong in other ways. However the manager clearly wants them to be doing better, and thinks this extra time will help them Improve as Anthony Rainbow has hinted they didn't look as sharp as other teams recently.

I think Carlow football sides could be beating the likes of Clare, Waterford, Wicklow etc with a little extra but more focused work. The likes of Leitrim are putting in a huge effort, and that has shown in the FBD Connaught league pre season, which Leitrim have won 2 years running.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 03/04/2014 11:05:17    1569822

Link

Gary - We have had almost nothing but outside managers over our football team and its not working. But there is alot in what you say about our local coaches going to the more successful counties and seeing what positive ideas they can take from them and implement in Carlow. In fact from what I know Turlough O' Brien has done this several times by visiting your own County of Derry and inviting them down to Carlow (Eire Og). I dont know if it helps but it certainly cant do any harm. As regards time spent on the training field, well i suppose it depends on what they are doing during that time and whether its productive or not? Our ambitions in Carlow are to be competitive in Div 4 with the hope of gaining promotion, that is all. Any run in the Championship is a bonus.

Fergie - as far as I know the lads who have left are Brendan Murphy, JJ Smith, Gary Dempsey, Michael Meaney, Murtough Ware,Paul Reid and Mark Curry.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 03/04/2014 13:54:42    1569951

Link

dual supporter
County: Carlow

Gary - We have had almost nothing but outside managers over our football team and its not working. But there is alot in what you say about our local coaches going to the more successful counties and seeing what positive ideas they can take from them and implement in Carlow. In fact from what I know Turlough O' Brien has done this several times by visiting your own County of Derry and inviting them down to Carlow (Eire Og). I dont know if it helps but it certainly cant do any harm. As regards time spent on the training field, well i suppose it depends on what they are doing during that time and whether its productive or not? Our ambitions in Carlow are to be competitive in Div 4 with the hope of gaining promotion, that is all. Any run in the Championship is a bonus.

Your right to stick with a Carlow manager, as most counties tend to do best with one of their own at the helm.

Getting the right management team is a difficult one though. If you get your Ideal coaches for the job, It's probably best to give them Minors and U21's first, so that players progressing to the seniors are well versed in what these coaches want. Jim McGuinness did this in Donegal with U21's in 2010, and then took over the seniors and merged U21 talent with the cream of Senior talent.

I would like to see Carlow get a few wins together.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 04/04/2014 21:41:45    1570557

Link

What do we think of Turlough's inclusion in the management team? I didn't see that coming.. It seems like a bloodless coup is taking place.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 06/04/2014 18:58:12    1571180

Link

Perhaps a rejig is what is required after a disappointing league campaign. A boost is required going into the championship.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2759 - 06/04/2014 21:40:07    1571401

Link

Didn't we make this same mistake last time bringing in rainbow before Dempsey was gone? So we will have another anointed manager with no real selection process. That's been the case for years now and has not been getting much results

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1260 - 07/04/2014 09:30:42    1571492

Link

Thats the vibe I'm getting up here Rainbow is moving on and Turlough is the interim manager

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1962 - 07/04/2014 09:36:43    1571497

Link

Can someone give a bit more info please?

Sgt.Pepper (Carlow) - Posts: 70 - 07/04/2014 11:08:20    1571589

Link

I agree with Barrowsider on this one. If we were going to appoint it should have been a clean break. But hopefully TOB will bring something to the table. Should at v least be able to get EO lads back on panel and hopefully BM.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 07/04/2014 11:21:05    1571600

Link

I was a little surprised to hear that Turlough has joined the setup as a selector. Im more surprised that Anthony Rainbow agreed to him coming in at this stage. Turlough would be more used to being in charge, hope there isnt a case of too many chiefs! Well its official that we are now the worst team in the country finishing bottom of Division 4. Hopefully by the time we face Meath in the championship we will be more competitive and not just depending on Paul Broderick and frees.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 07/04/2014 13:07:53    1571686

Link

Interesting to see TO'B becoming involved - however I posted months ago Rainbow should have had some additional selector of managerial standard in there - someone like TO'B would have had an extra perspective, someone to bounce ideas off of etc... I don't think there was any selector in there at all this year ? In carlow we get good clubmen in, and fair dues to them for committing the time etc but we need to move beyond that, in the successful counties the management teams have a bit more depth - lads like Noel Doyle, Joe Murphy, To'B etc are what you want in there. Anyway another season wasted ... if we had our act together we should have been challenging more than we did ...

who for the poisoned chalice next season ??

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 455 - 07/04/2014 13:27:07    1571701

Link

dual supporter I really admire your faith when you say, "Hopefully by the time we face Meath in the championship we will be more competitive and not just depending on Paul Broderick and frees", all that in a few short weeks.
With respect to Turlough O Brien he is not the man for the job.
Two things needed IMO, Joe Murphy and a serious change of attitude within the County Board, but if AR goes within the next few days O'Brien will get the job.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1962 - 07/04/2014 18:23:33    1571927

Link

I should have said Joe Murphy and/or Karl O'Dwyer

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1962 - 07/04/2014 18:35:23    1571937

Link