Take Three: Monday, 1 October

Talking Point
01 October 2012

Cody's latest masterstroke, the lure of professional sport and the curious case of a captain walking out on his team feature in this week's Take Three blog

Walsh waltzes to All-Ireland medal

Brian Cody pulled out a rabbit out of the bag when handing Walter Walsh his championship debut in the All-Ireland SHC final replay against Galway yesterday.

And the brave call worked out a treat for the man with the Midas touch after Walsh notched 1-3 against the Tribesman and walked away with RTE's 'Man of the Match' accolade.

Following in the footsteps of the great Eddie Keher who made his championship debut in the replayed All-Ireland final of 1959, Walsh enjoyed a fairytale start to his senior intercounty career.

The 21 year old repaid Cody's faith in him when creating all sorts of problems for Galway corner-back Johnny Coen who has been one of the year's outstanding defenders.

The standing ovation he received from Kilkenny supporters when he was called ashore in the 58th minute was fully merited.

Sweetnam switches codes

Jimmy Barry Murphy's Cork hurling revolution has been dealt a blow today with confirmation that the promising Darren Sweetnam has decided to switch allegiances to Munster rugby.

Cork will have to plan without the services of the Dohenys clubman in 2013 as he has signed a development contract with Munster.

The 19 year old follows in the footsteps of fellow county man Tomas O'Leary who captained the Rebel County to All-Ireland MHC glory in 2001 before throwing his lot in with the oval ball code.

Hurling's loss will most definitely be rugby's gain.

In the past, others like Shane Horgan, Tommy Bowe and Rob Kearney have turned their backs on fledgling GAA careers to concentrate on rugby and the prospect of playing a sport professionally would be hard to turn down.

Captain throws toys out of the pram

Kenmare District captain Paul O'Connor stunned spectators when walking off the Fitzgerald Stadium field with 10 minutes remaining of his team's Kerry SFC quarter-final clash against St Kieran's on Saturday.

A holder of three All-Ireland senior medals, O'Connor turned his back on the action and walked off the pitch as his team were attempting to chase down a ten point deficit.

Kenmare were awarded a free which O'Connor took quickly and blasted to the back of the St Kieran's net.

His frustration boiled over, however, when referee Sean Joy ordered the free to be retaken and he stormed off the pitch.

Team-mates and supporters alike were shocked at the sight of their captain heading down the tunnel with ten minutes still left on the clock. Is this a first in a GAA match?


What do you think ? Be the first to comment on this article.

Add new comment

Name: (*)  
E-Mail Address: (Not Displayed)
From: (Town/County)