by Daragh Small
Meath youngster James Conlon says the influx of underage talent has changed the dynamic in Andy McEntee’s team.
Meath will face Donegal in their first ever Super 8 game at Ballybofey on Sunday after a 2-16 to 1-18 victory over Clare last weekend as they bounced back from their thumping defeat in the Leinster final.
In doing so, they became the first beaten Leinster finalist to win their subsequent qualifier in ten years.
The St Colmcille’s attacker scored 0-3 last Sunday, and he believes this team are capable of more.
“It was a tough two weeks after the Leinster final. We had to dig deep,” said the 21-year old.
“In the last couple of years Meath haven’t been at that. Digging deep is something we have brought into the group this year.
“It’s huge for Meath football. We have progressed. Underage is coming on. Even the likes of myself coming into the squad this year.
“A good few of us have added to it.”
Meath only managed 0-4 in their 16-point Leinster final defeat at Croke Park on 23 June.
But Conlon has now brought his personal tally to 0-12 since his championship debut against Offaly earlier this year.
The only team he failed to raise a white flag against was Dublin and as he prepares for their opening game in the Super 8s, that provincial final still frustrates.
“Within the group we thought we weren’t far away, we just didn’t show up on the day, or take our chances,” said Conlon.
“It is tough especially after getting such a drilling, but we are resilient enough to get back at it.
“We are delighted to be in the Super 8s. That was the goal at the start of the year.”
Join the hoganstand.com match tracker this weekend for live coverage of the All-Ireland SFC Super 8s and All-Ireland SHC quarter-finals.Tweet